1) Ensure that your hostname resolves correctly in DNS. Had a problem with the hostname that I had to resolve by correcting entries in the /etc/hosts file and also in the /etc/sysconfig/network file. Check ‘hostname -f’ against nslookup/host on other machines. Just be sure that you have consistency between your host and other devices on your network as puppet will not be happy if you don't!
2) Turn off iptables and ip6tables. Atleast during the installation process. It will make your life easier! Consult the Foreman documentation if you can't and need information on specific ports etc.
# service iptables stop ; chkconfig iptables off
# service ip6tables stop; chkconfig ip6tables off
3) Disable selinux. Pulp (service that runs inside Katello) and selinux aren’t currently playing nice. Open /etc/sysconfig/selinux in a text editor and set to disabled.
4) Install the following repos/versions. I didn't have luck with the nightly's so I did not use them.
# rpm -ivh http://yum.puppetlabs.com/
# rpm -ivh http://dl.fedoraproject.org/
# yum install -y http://yum.theforeman.org/
# wget http://dev.centos.org/centos/
6/SCL/scl.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/scl.repo
# yum install -y https://fedorapeople.org/
5) Install Katello packs and grab a cold one. ~400 packages
# yum install -y katello
6) Deploy Katello. This is install the defaults. See "katello-installer --help" for additional parameters and custom settings.
This will take several minutes to complete (so grab another cold one!). At this point though it will either fail or succeed. It will give you progress along the way and tell you why it failed in the event it does. On successful completion you should see something like below:
[root@hostname ~]# katello-installer
* Katello is running at https://hostname.example.
Initial credentials are admin / mfmVBo6M7yFenvAp
* Capsule is running at https://hostname.example.
* To install additional capsule on separate machine continue by running:"
capsule-certs-generate --capsule-fqdn "$CAPSULE" --certs-tar "~/$CAPSULE-certs.tar"
The full log is at /var/log/katello-installer/
This concludes the default installation process of Foreman with the Katello plugin. This is enough to get you going with the WEB UI and start poking around. There will be follow up blog posts that examine and explain the aspects of the project that make it so powerful.